Jump to content
  • 0

Returning to U.S. from Thailand and filing expat taxes ?



We (I’m Swedish and my husband is American) have lived in Thailand now for 5 years and is about to move back to the US this fall.

We have not filed taxes with the US this whole time.. what’s the easiest, fastest and cheapest way to get this up to date?

I should add that we have not earned over the max amount and have not owned a house or a car.

we really don’t have any complications at all.

We just need to file showing what we earned and pays taxes over here.

Can we do this ourself or do we need an accountant to get us up to date on this?

Would so appreciate your thoughts and experiences on this.

Thank you! / Rose

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 answer to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0

It doesn’t matter how much you earned, you are supposed to file every year. However, you can apply directly to the IRS to file back returns, without an accountant. Most people in your circumstances would use the IRS streamlined procedures to catch up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. to insert a cookie message